Monday, May 26, 2008

Up Next: Young Directors Project — Meet The Director And Cast Of Final Dress Rehearsal

The final production of the Civic Youth Theatre (CYT) 2007-2008 season is the Young Directors Project, in which two CYT participants cast and direct productions of one-act plays. This season’s Young Directors Project productions are Jack Frakes’ Final Dress Rehearsal directed by Michael Freels, and Eugene Ionesco’s The Bald Soprano directed by Margaret Duvall. They will be performed June 6-8 at the Monon Depot Theatre in downtown Lafayette.

Michael Freels has served as an assistant director for Southwestern Middle School's production of Aladdin, Jr., but his production of Final Dress Rehearsal is the first in which he has served as director.

"I've wanted to be a director since my first few plays. I’ve seen what my directors have done, and in the back of my head I have the voice that says, ‘You can do this better. You should do this, they shouldn’t be doing this.’ I’ve always had that going on since I first began," Michael said.

He chose Final Dress Rehearsal because he "wanted to do something really outrageous with a lot of actors and things going on. I wanted to direct something that will keep the audience laughing. They will see a group of young students trying to put on a production of Cinderella. Basically it’s a giant mess; they’ll see the final dress rehearsal right before the performance and see how it doesn’t work out so great.

"Young Director's Project is a really cool opportunity because it will help me out a lot if I pursue directing. Directing Final Dress Rehearsal has been a really good experience and it’s been a lot of fun."

Taylor Bundy plays The Director in Final Dress Rehearsal.

"She yells at everyone: No one knows their lines and everything is going really bad," Taylor said.

"Rehearsals are going well for Final Dress Rehearsal. Everyone's doing pretty well learning their lines and blocking."

Grace Lazarz plays The Evil Stepmother in Final Dress Rehearsal.

"My character thinks she's a pretty good actor, but she uses a monotone voice when portraying The Evil Stepmother. There's only one time she actually acts, but the rest of the time she's pretty bad," Grace explained.

"Michael is a wonderful director and the cast is doing pretty good in rehearsals."

Annie Ellis is The Fairy Godmother in the show.

"My character loses The Fairy Godmother's wand, so throughout the play I'm trying to find it. And when I come onstage, I have something that looks really ridiculous to take its place," Annie said.

The director and cast of Final Dress Rehearsal

No comments: