Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day: What shows would you love to do? What roles would you love to play?

Valentine's Day brings to mind breakfasts in bed; gifts like boxes of chocolate, jewelry or freshly cut flowers; cards; and romantic getaways and dinners.

Love is in the air on February 14, and some people are absolutely passionate about their favorite shows and roles (yes, you folks who are ga-ga over Wicked can stop chanting and hollering, I hear you). And sometimes Valentine's Day includes a bit of fantasy -- and who doesn't fantasize about playing a certain role or being involved with a certain show? They're dream projects and we've all got them.

One musical I will never grow tired of is Guys and Dolls, and I get giddy thinking about the role of Nicely-Nicely Johnson. He gets to sing grand-slam numbers including "Fugue for Tinhorns" ("I've got the horse right here, his name is Paul Revere..."), "Guys and Dolls" and "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat." The character is terrific, the show is sublime.

There are other shows that pique my interest: A Perfect Ganesh by Terrence McNally, All in the Timing by David Ives, Angels in America by Tony Kushner, The Tempest by William Shaikespeare ... and many more.

So, it's your turn to share. What are your dream projects? What shows would you love to do? What roles would you love to play?

8 comments:

Lis said...

I would love to do the show "Into the Woods." I love how it takes so many fables and fairy tales and finds different truths and moral lessons in them. And I especially love the songs "No One Is Alone" and "Children Will Listen."

And, I have to say that one of my fantasy roles is Elle Woods in "Legally Blonde the Musical." Ever since I saw the movie, I was hoping it would become a musical so that someday I'd have the chance to be a singing, dancing Elle Woods. And I'm being totally serious. :)

Mark Allen said...

My dream role is Willy Loman in "Death of a Salesman".

It's been called the King Lear of American Theater. And it's the role of a lifetime for me.

I would also throw in George in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

I've already played some dream roles in Ken in "Who's Life Is It, Anyway?", Norman in "The Dresser", Oscar in "The Odd Couple" and others.

But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a dream to do them again.

jessica nadine said...

I think my ultimate theatre dream role would be Lady Macbeth of William Shakespeare's "Macbeth."

Steve Gooch said...

I would love to direct Martin McDonagh's The Pillowman. It's so good. I'd also like to have the original cast of David Tennant, Jim Broadbent, Nigel Lindsay, and Adam Godley. Sheesh that'd be cool.

Also, pretty much anything by Pinter would be great.

I'm not much for the acting, but I'd like to try Ben from The Dumb Waiter.

Steve Martin said...

I like the variety of shows and characters listed so far. From the classic with Jessica's choice of Lady MacBeth through America's Golden Age with Mark's choice of Willy Loman ... from musical theatre with Lisa's listing of Into the Woods and Legally Blonde to the ultra-contemporary with Steve's choice of The Pillowman.

It's always energizing to hear about scripts and characters and directors and writers who are new to me. There are new worlds out there to explore. And it's awesome to read that there is a nice variety of personal tastes in the Civic community. :)

For what it's worth, Martin McDonough is nominated for an Oscar for his original screenplay for "In Bruges." He also won an Oscar a few years ago for a short film titled "Six Shooter." Two films, two Oscar noms ... pretty nice start to a film career!

Justice said...

Listen I need someone to do some Dreamgirls, because that is my SHOW! I would love to be Effie, that's definitley a fantasy of mine. Another of my favorites that I think would especially work well at the Monon is "Merrily We Roll Along", which is one of Sondheim's lesser known works. It's very intimate and it has fantastic music!

But really, someone do Dreamgirls. I'll dye people chocolate, that's not a problem.

Jo Gelfand said...

Even though I've been on season selection committee multiple times, I've NEVER been able to convince Civic to do "Mame." I'd sell my firstborn (if I had one) to play Vera, Mame, or Agnes Gooch. Could I interest anyone in one of Steve Koehler's kids? I love the music and love the characters.....

jacobott28 said...

I would love to have anything to do with Neil Simmon's "Brighton Beach Memoirs."