Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Civic Volunteer Album. Meet Bailey Rosa.


The "Civic Volunteer Album" will highlight various Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette volunteers who more often than not volunteer behind the scenes of productions as stage managers, designers, backstage crew and much more. They are the backbone of each production, working hard to support what everyone else can see and hear on stage.

Bailey Rosa has been involved in more than 40 shows at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette, including productions in the Civic MainStage, Civic Youth Theatre and Civic under the Stars seasons. Although she has served in several functions, Bailey most often serves either as a show's lighting designer or stage manager.

Bailey began volunteering with the Civic Youth Theatre production of Number the Stars in the 2004-2005 season.

"I was the sound designer and sound board operator," Bailey said. "I became involved with the show because a few friends of mine were acting in it. They told me I should help."

One of Bailey's favorite Civic productions was The Diary of Anne Frank, produced in the 2005-2006 MainStage season. She was the stage manager.

"The show was such an amazing experience," she said. "Not only did I learn many things about history and theatre, but I met some really amazing people during the production that I now consider my family. Not only was it awesome to be a part of a show that never seemed to end because we kept adding performances, but it was just wonderful to be around Susan Kisinger, the director; Steve Martin, the assistant director; and the whole cast for a large portion of my 8th grade year."

Bailey also recalled two special moments from other productions she worked on.

"On the set of Forever Plaid, Julia Colby and I worked for hours to put together and hang Christmas net lights all over the ceiling. When the lights turned on for two minutes at the end of the show, it was the most amazing sight ever!" she said. "Another special moment was at the end of Jesus Christ Superstar. I was under the stage setting off the fog that covered the stage, and I looked up and saw a dove sitting on top of the cross. It was the perfect ending to a show. I remember everyone crying at the end because it was just amazing!"

Bailey concluded by explaining what being involved with Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette has meant to her.

"Civic has been my home away from home for the last eight years; I would not be the person I am today if it hadn’t been for Civic," she said. "There are so many great people that are accepting of everyone, who help you grow in your knowledge of the theatre and just have an amazing time while putting on a wonderful show. Getting involved in Civic was the best decision I have ever made."

1 comment:

Cindy Modlin Adams said...

I really enjoyed getting to know Bailey during "The Sound of Music".
What a "bright spot" she has been for Civic. Thanks Bailey for all your work!