Wednesday, November 25, 2009

In the Wings: A Christmas Story. Meet Heather Owen.


Heather Owen plays Ralphie’s Mother in A Christmas Story, the second production of the 2009-2010 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The show is based on the movie of the same name.

Heather said that while Mother may be flaky, she also is believable and other mothers can relate to her.

“We all go slightly mad between Thanksgiving and Christmas because we have to deal with all the preparations. There’s also friction between children and parents about what they want for presents and whether parents will or can get it for them,” she said. “Even though it’s a nostalgic story, I think it’s very applicable today. The things my children want for Christmas either are not available or are dangerous. My son wants a longboard and I found myself saying Mother’s line, but rather than ‘You’ll shoot your eye out,’ I said, ‘You’ll fall and break your head.’ I totally understood Mother in the show when that moment happened.”

Heather has not been on stage for more than 20 years. She explained what led her to audition for A Christmas Story.

“Since last January when I attended a volunteer orientation, I’ve tried to build up my involvement at Civic. I decided my capstone project would be to be cast in a MainStage show,” she said. “I also really wanted to work with John David Collier."

A Christmas Story runs three consecutive weekends from Friday, December 4 to Sunday, December 20 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre in downtown Lafayette. There also are performances on Thursday, December 10 and December 17. Shows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings begin at 8:00 p.m.; shows on Sunday afternoons begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette's Web site, http://www.lafayettecivic.org/.

No comments: