Sunday, January 31, 2010

In Memory - David Santogrossi

David Santogrossi, drummer, carpenter and good friend of Civic Theatre lost his battle with cancer this past Thursday January 28th.

David was a part of Civic Theatre in so many ways. As a drummer and percussionist he had "played scores and scores of scores for Civic musicals," as he stated in his bio for The King and I. What a true statement that was. David played a part of practically every musical Civic Theatre has produced since moving into the Monon Depot Theatre, close to 30 years ago. He also shared his musical talents with Purdue Theatre, Red Barn Theatre and the Vanity Theatre. In addition to his musical contributions David was Master Carpenter or on set crew for dozens more. David also gladly volunteered as an usher, making him a part of virtually every Civic Theatre production for the past 30 years. Needless to say we will miss David's talent and hard work.

I have known David only the past few years, barely a blip of his overall impact on Civic, and the lives of all of us. I will miss chatting with him before shows, helping schlep his drum kit at the Amphitheater, saying "hi" to Gelato, his constant companion and so much more about him. If you would like, please feel free to share your memories of David.

Visitation for David will be:

4 to 7 pm Saturday
Soller-Baker Lafayette Chapel
400 Twyckenham Boulevard
Lafayette, IN 47909

You can also leave condolences at the Soller-Baker website here.

Please rest in peace David.

3 comments:

Mark Allen said...

I have several memories of David. But the one that will always stick out to me was when he was Master Carpenter for Steel Magnolias when the moron director (Me) turned on the water downstairs when David hadn't quite hooked up the pipes to the stage sink. The response of "you did what?" still resonates in my head today. He also sat next to me in the 2nd row on closing performance and cried along with me to the closing scene.

Anthony said...

On a whim, I googled Dr. Santogrossi and was shocked to hear that he recently died. He was one of my favorite teachers at Purdue, and I was one of his research assistants in the late 70's.

Few people probably knew he was the original drummer for Blue Oyster Cult when the played under a different name. So sad.

Tony Lennen
Purdue '79

Pamela Perrewe said...

I was so saddened to read in my Purdue Alumni magazine that David had died. He was the first professor at Purdue to teach me about research as an undergraduate. I fell in love with research, earned a Ph.D. and have been a professor for 25 years. I owe David so much for opening the research door for me. David was such a treasure and he will be missed by so many.


Pamela Perrewe
Florida State University