Friday, January 22, 2010

In the Wings: A Raisin in the Sun. Meet Jos N. Holman.


Jos N. Holman plays Walter Lee Younger in A Raisin in the Sun, the third production of the 2009-2010 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Lorraine Hansberry.

Jos explained the two reaons he auditioned for the production.

"I love theater but I don't get to experience it as much as I would like. Having this particular play taking place in the Greater Lafayette area was a great opportunity," he said. "The other reason I auditioned is that I am very familiar with this play, Langston Hughes and his writing, and the poem that I call 'Dream Deferred' which is the basis of the script. I also like the historic setting: the Civil Rights era is very close to my heart."

Jos described Walter Lee, his desires and the obstacles he faces.

"Walter Lee is angry, somewhat impetuous, a dreamer, dissatisifed but yet he still is a family man," he said. "Walter Lee is not satisified with his life or his financial status. He wants to own his own business and to become his own man. He faces the idea of, 'How do I get to a point where I am standing on my own in the place I want to be because of my own choices and the decisions I've made?' He tries to take hold of his dream, but all his circumstances are against him."

Jos concluded by suggesting there are several things audiences will remember about A Raisin in the Sun.

"There are some folks, especially African-American folks, who remember the time period in the late 1950s when things were not as they are in 2010. They will relate to what is going on, they will remember and hopefully there will be some fond memories and remembrances and not just sad ones," he said. "Folks will identify with the struggles this family goes through just to own a home. They also will identify with the struggles in relationships between the characters. At the same time some people will go home having been entertained by some comedic action in the play. There are some lighter moments and joyful moments in terms of family interaction as well. And some people will go home and say, 'My, we've come a pretty long way as a society.'"

A Raisin in the Sun runs three consecutive weekends from Friday, January 29 to Sunday, February 14 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre in downtown Lafayette. Shows on Friday and Saturday evenings begin at 8:00 p.m., shows on Sunday afternoons begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette's Web site, http://www.lafayettecivic.org/.

No comments: