Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette will produce three plays and organize an event at the historic Monon Depot Theatre in downtown Lafayette during the 2010-2011 Civic Youth Theatre series. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for youth age 18 and under.
24-Hour Theatre Event
- * October 8-9, with a performance on October 9, 2010
- * An intense 24-hour creative process. The 24-Hour Theatre Event will start at 7:00 pm on Friday, October 8 with a group of young artists; 24 hours later they will have written, directed and acted in a world premiere play. With a one-time only performance on Saturday, October 9, this is a theatrical event not to be missed.
Once Upon a Mattress by Mary Rodgers, Marshall Barer, Jay Thompson and Dean Fuller
- * February 25-27, 2011
- * If you thought you knew the story of "The Princess and The Pea," you may be in for a walloping surprise! Did you know, for instance, that Princess Winnifred actually swam the moat to reach Prince Dauntless the Drab? Or that Lady Larken's love for Sir Harry provided a rather compelling reason that she reach the bridal altar post haste? Or that, in fact, it wasn't the pea at all that caused the princess a sleepless night? Carried on a wave of wonderful songs, by turns hilarious and raucous, romantic and melodic, this rollicking spin on the familiar classic of royal courtship and comeuppance provides for some side-splitting shenanigans. Chances are you'll never look at fairy tales quite the same way again.
Macbeth by William Shakespeare
- * April 8-10, 2011
- * From the world's greatest dramatist comes the dark tale of greed, revenge and murder. "The Scottish Play" is the story of one couple's political aspirations and the depths of depravity that they will stoop to achieve them.
The Velveteen Rabbit
- * April 22-24, 2011
- * Margery Williams' beloved tale is faithfully told and carefully expanded for the stage. The Velveteen Rabbit provides young audiences with comedy, pathos, adventure and a final triumph for the hero, who learns that love makes all things real.