Wednesday, March 3, 2010

In the Wings: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged). Meet Martin Fernandez.

Martin Fernandez performs in The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged), the fourth production of the 2009-2010 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Adam Long, Daniel Singer and Jess Winfield.

Martin has long been familiar with the play because his senior English class at Jefferson High School watches the DVD version of it each year.

"It's great how the writers put everything together," he said. "As soon as I found out Civic was going to produce it, I knew I would audition. I love Shakespeare. He's my favorite author. I didn't love Shakespeare until my junior year in college when I was better able to understand his language. I try to show my students that his language can connect with them, they just have to work through the 'thees' and 'thous.'"

The actors take on different roles during the show. Martin described some of the characters he portrays.

"I play Titus Andronicus, one of Shakespeare's most brutal characters," he said. "The entire second half is based on Hamlet, and I get the honor of playing the title character."

Martin suggested what the audience will most remember about the show.

"The audience will see these plays in a different light," he said. "For example, they will talk about Romeo and Juliet because a guy is playing the girl's part. That's how it was done in Shakespeare's time, but this version is funny. They'll also hear Scottish accents and a rap. They'll remember all these twists to classic Shakespearean plays."

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) runs three consecutive weekends from Friday, March 12 through Sunday, March 28 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre in downtown Lafayette. Shows on Friday and Saturday evenings begin at 8:00 p.m.; shows on Sunday afternoons begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette's Web site, http://www.lafayettecivic.org/.

No comments: