Thursday, March 4, 2010

In the Wings: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged). Meet Chris Mayfield.

Chris Mayfield performs in The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged), the fourth production of the 2009-2010 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Adam Long, Daniel Singer and Jess Winfield.

Chris is making his acting debut with Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette.

"I had seen the play performed both on stage and on DVD and loved it," he said. "One of my friends, Abigail Germond, told me that Civic Theatre was producing it and I knew I had to audition.

"I like Shakespeare a lot. Some of his works I find strange, but I appreciate Hamlet. I really like A Midsummer Night's Dream and I've performed in Romeo and Juliet."

All actors in the show perform multiple roles. Chris described some of the things he does on stage.

"I guarantee that I will vomit in each section at least twice," he said, laughing. "I will die and also give birth, in a manner of speaking. I also transform from a woman to a man and at one point I'm Hamlet's uncle, father, girlfriend and mother all at the same time."

Chris suggested what the audience will most remember about this production.

"The audience will love the energy," he said. "Everyone in the cast is so vibrant and vivid. All of us are so into the show, and we know and appreciate the play. The audience will see that we're comfortable on stage, we like one another and we like our audiences."

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) runs three consecutive weekends from Friday, March 12 through Sunday, March 28 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre in downtown Lafayette. Shows on Friday and Saturday evenings begin at 8:00 p.m.; shows on Sunday afternoons begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette's Web site, http://www.lafayettecivic.org/.

No comments: