Tuesday, April 6, 2010

In the Wings: Young Playwrights Project. Meet Emily Davis, author of Come Back to Me.


Emily Davis has written Come Back to Me for Young Playwrights Project, the final production of the 2009-2010 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette.

Emily said that she often gets ideas for stories, but Come Back to Me is the first script she has written.

"Some ideas I don’t end up writing down, but some of them I do. Sometimes I write down half of an idea, but I forget to write down the rest of it," she said. "I had this story in my mind and had been thinking it over when I heard about Young Playwrights Project. I thought, 'Hey, I'll enter it.'"

Emily described how the play opens and some of the characters.

"The play takes place right after the end of the Civil War," she said. "Adelaide, the main character, is 15 years old. She is sitting with her mother who is about to die. As far as Adelaide knows, her mother is her last living relative. Soon after her mother dies, Adelaide falls ill and is found by two hunters. One is a bratty younger brother and the other is trying to be mature and responsible."

After Come Back to Me was selected to be part of Young Playwrights Project, Emily met Scott Haan, her mentor and author of A Very Bad Day for Brandon Butterworth, one of the original scripts in the 2007-2008 Staged Reading series. Emily described how she and Scott worked on the script.

"I had a couple of characters who were in a scene at the orphanage but didn't say anything. Scott helped me realize that they weren't important and I could cut them out," she said. "Also, John – the younger brother – was going through a lot of drama at first. There wasn't any humor. We made John younger and funnier."

Emily concluded by describing what she hopes to get out of seeing Come Back to Me on stage.

"I hope seeing my play onstage will inspire me to write more," she said. "Right now I'll write here and there when I think of an idea. I hope seeing it performed will help me to think of more ideas."

Young Playwrights Project runs from Friday, April 16 through Sunday, April 18 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre in downtown Lafayette. Shows on Friday and Saturday evenings begin at 7:00 p.m.; the show on Sunday afternoon begins at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette's Web site, http://www.lafayettecivic.org/.

No comments: