Tuesday, August 31, 2010

In the Wings: The Taffetas. Meet Grace Lazarz.


Grace Lazarz plays Peggy in The Taffetas, the first production in the 2010-2011 MainStage Season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The musical was conceived by Rick Lewis, with additional material by Arthur Whitelaw. Melanie R. Buchanan is the director and Shellie Johnson is the musical director.

Question: What sets Peggy apart from her three sisters?
Grace Lazarz: She's the most domestic sister. She likes staying home with her parents. She likes cooking. She's really excited about the Ball Jar Canning Contest - she mentions that a few times.

Q: Why did you audition for The Taffetas?
G.L.: I didn't listen to the music in the show beforehand, so it wasn't really about that. I wanted to be in a musical because I love singing so much.

Q: How much did you know about 1950s girls groups before you auditioned?
G.L.: I didn't know so much. I had heard a few songs here and there by different groups.

Q: What has been the most enjoyable part about rehearsal?
G.L.: I like the people I'm working with. I love all three of the other cast members, they're great. Our pianist is great. Our directors are wonderful.

Q: What is your favorite song in the show?
G.L.: My duet with Ivy Mills, "Tonight You Belong With Me." It's simple and cheery. It's bouncy.

Q: Have you ever worn taffeta?
S.C.: No, I have not.

The Taffetas opens Friday, September 10 and runs three consecutive weekends through Sunday, September 26 at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday evening shows begin at 7:30 p.m.; Sunday afternoon performances begin at 2:30 p.m. There also will be a show Thursday, September 23 at 7:30 p.m.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette at 765-423-7529 or visit its website.

No comments: