Thursday, September 2, 2010

In the Wings: The Taffetas. Meet Ivy Mills.


Ivy Mills plays Cheryl in The Taffetas, the first production in the 2010-2011 MainStage Season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The musical was conceived by Rick Lewis, with additional material by Arthur Whitelaw. Melanie R. Buchanan is the director and Shellie Johnson is the musical director.

Question: What sets Cheryl apart from her three sisters?
Ivy Mills: She's the normal one.

Q: Why did you audition for The Taffetas?
I.M.: I like singing and dancing, and putting them together is great.

Q: Did you know much about 1950s girls groups before you auditioned?
I.M.: Yes, I listen to a lot of oldies. I also sing in a group called Almost Accidental that does a lot of jazz stuff and 1940s songs.

Q: What has been the most enjoyable part about rehearsal?
I.M.: Singing every day in a group and hearing when we hit the right notes and sound really good together.

Q: What is your favorite song in the show?
I.M.: "Shaboom," which is the opening number, and "Old Cape Cod," which is my solo.

Q: Have you ever worn taffeta?
I.M.: Yes, when I played dress up growing up.

The Taffetas opens Friday, September 10 and runs three consecutive weekends through Sunday, September 26 at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday evening shows begin at 7:30 p.m.; Sunday afternoon performances begin at 2:30 p.m. There also will be a show Thursday, September 23 at 7:30 p.m.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette at 765-423-7529 or visit its website.

No comments: