Wednesday, January 19, 2011

In the Wings: All My Sons. Meet Craig Martin.


Craig Martin plays Joe Keller in All My Sons, the third production of the 2010-2011 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Arthur Miller. Rachel Lambert is the director.

Question: Did you know much about the story or about your character before you auditioned?
Craig Martin: I really didn't. But the story drew me in immediately and Joe Keller felt familiar to me, like men I've met from that era - my father included - who were larger-than-life personalities and took charge of any room they entered.

Q: Is there anything audiences should know before coming to see this production?
C.M.: It's a very conversation-driven play, and the cast has worked unbelievably hard to be faithful to Mr. Miller's words. If you've read the play or ever have the chance to, you will feel the personalities of the characters right through the page. We're repeatedly amazed at how brilliantly the dialogue and the entire story were constructed.

Q: What have you learned -- about the show, about yourself -- during the rehearsal process?
C.M.: I've learned that it's not too much to ask of myself to stay busy right through the evening - every evening. I've learned that I can still memorize things. And I've really come to appreciate why people commit their time and talents to Civic Theatre productions - it's an incredibly fulfilling experience to share an evening reading lines back and forth with people you've never met before -- warm and welcoming people from different walks of life -- and to share in the telling of a staged tale.

Q: What will have been the most important factor in the success of this production?
C.M.: Without a doubt, Rachel Lambert, our director. She's been very sharply tuned to the overall tone of the play and its intricacies, and she's been unbelievably generous and patient while we worked our way into the "skins" of our characters.

All My Sons will open Friday, January 28, and run three consecutive weekends through Sunday, February 13, at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday evening performances begin at 7:30 p.m.; Sunday afternoon matinees begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: