Tuesday, January 18, 2011

In the Wings: All My Sons. Meet Jane Hoaks.


Jane Hoaks plays Kate Keller in All My Sons, the third production of the 2010-2011 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Arthur Miller. Rachel Lambert is the director.

Question: What made you want to audition for All My Sons?
Jane Hoaks: It is an Arthur Miller play; one I really didn't know and I was curious. I read the script and I was captured by it. From the moment I read the script, I felt such a strong attraction to Kate.

Q: What have you learned -- about the show, about yourself -- during the
rehearsal process?
J.H.: I knew I liked the play from the very beginning, but now I love it. We have a wonderful director who has painstakingly guided us into a much deeper level of understanding for each character in this show. From the very beginning I felt a pulling in my heart for Kate, now I feel I am Kate in many respects. I, myself, have three children -- a daughter and two sons. Would I, or could I, do much differently than Kate if I had to deal with the same circumstances? I don't know, but I don't think so. The human heart has such a capacity for compromise and rationalization and for undying, steadfast love. It can be all too conflicting, and yet we still find a way to make it work for as long as it needs to.

Q: Is there anything audiences should know before coming to see this production?
J.H.: It is typical Miller. It makes us stop and think about why we do what we do and is it really justifiable? It is most certainly not a show for children or even young teenagers. It makes you reflect on your own past decisions and actions. The moral of the story is one that few people ever think about and how important it is that they do so.

Q: Has there been any particular memorable moment so far that you'd like to share?
J.H.: It has all been one big memorable moment. I have had such a wonderful time getting to know and work with some extraordinary people. There are a lot of new faces in this show that Civic audiences have not had the pleasure and opportunity to enjoy. They have all become my "family"; it will be heart wrenching to say good-bye at the end of the run. I can only hope that I will have the chance to be with them again in other productions.

All My Sons will open Friday, January 28, and run three consecutive weekends through Sunday, February 13, at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday evening performances begin at 7:30 p.m.; Sunday afternoon matinees begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: