Monday, January 17, 2011

In the Wings: All My Sons. Meet Rachel Lambert, the director.


Rachel Lambert directs All My Sons, the third production of the 2010-2011 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Arthur Miller.

Question: What, if anything, did you know about All My Sons before you began working on this production?
Rachel Lambert: I have been involved in several Arthur Miller plays but I had not read or seen this one. It's exciting to be working on this particular play because it's Arthur Miller's first successful play. It's the reason we have all the others. And, I think it's still relevant today with the themes of commercialization and making money on war. These are things we still talk about today.

Q: Is there anything audiences should know before coming to see this
production?
R.L.: It will be a night of classic American theater. It is a great example of mid-century realism that I think will mean something to our audience. They will be asked to think.

Q: Has there been any particular memorable moment so far that you'd like to
share?
R.L.: Yes. There was one night when I was working with Craig Martin (Joe Keller) and Jane Hoaks (Kate Keller) that was very intense on one scene. It got to the point that suddenly I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat. We were at a point of extreme tension and high stakes and we really experienced it that night. The actors ceased to be two people acting and became two people engaged in the scene.

All My Sons will open Friday, January 28, and run three consecutive weekends through Sunday, February 13, at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday evening performances begin at 7:30 p.m.; Sunday afternoon matinees begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: