Tuesday, March 29, 2011

In the Wings: Macbeth. Meet Beatrice Masters, Sydney Cason and Ariel Laukins.


Sydney Cason, Ariel Laukins and Beatrice Masters play the Witches in Macbeth, the third production in the 2010-2011 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by William Shakespeare.

Question: Why did you audition for Macbeth?
Ariel Laukins: I had never read Macbeth before and I thought it would be interesting to read and play. When I read it I really liked the storyline and I thought the characters were cool. I thought I could play some of them.
Sydney Cason: I'm also interested in Shakespeare and I like the story of Macbeth, I had read it before. Also, this is Melanie Buchanan's last show with Civic Youth Theatre and I definitely wanted to do another show with her.
Beatrice Masters: As a senior, I always try to be in shows but I end up being really, really busy with lots of scheduling conflicts so I end up not being able to do anything. I said, "This is Mel's last show, and this is my last CYT show as a senior. It's Macbeth and I really like the play and I like Shakespeare. I don't care what I have to do to my schedule, I'm doing this play."

Q: What are the Witches like? What is their goal and how do they affect the action?
B.M.: We're very classic witches – evil and gleeful at any mischief that we can cause.
S.C.: We're working on different cackles and walks and voices, trying to be as crazy as possible.
A.L.: We tell Macbeth that he will end up being really important, and he wants to do whatever he can to make that happen.

Q: What sort of challenges have you faced with this production?
A.L.: We have a "No Fear Shakespeare" version along with the original text, so we use that to know what we're talking about in the play. But some words have different contexts today, so it's different to hear what they meant back then.
S.C.: When we began reading Shakespeare, it looked like poetry and we wanted to stop at the end of the lines but we learned to keep going as we worked on it.
B.M.: As a Witch, the Shakespearean language is less difficult than it is with other characters. Other characters are trying to read Shakespeare like a modern person with modern emotions. We're not trying to do that, we're just trying to be really creepy and weird. Even if what we said was being translated into modern English, it would still be creepy and weird.

Q: What will an audience most remember about this production?
B.M.: It will be a high-energy show. We don't get to fight, but watching the fight scenes and seeing everyone get involved with that, it's really cool how that's coming together.
S.C.: One of the biggest things in this show will be the fights. They actors are excited about blood packets and hand-to-hand combat and fighting with knives and guns.
A.L. I end up getting to fight when I play another character, and the audience will remember that. And there will be some pretty intense witch makeup.

Macbeth will open Friday, April 8 and run through Sunday, April 10 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday evening performances will begin at 7:30 p.m.; the Sunday afternoon performance will begin at 2:30 p.m.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call Civic Theatre's office at 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: