In the four years the Staged Reading series has been part of the Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette season, at least one of the scripts has been an original, previously unproduced script written by a local playwright:
- * 2007-2008: Pia Zadora Sings Gershwin by Deborah Gray and A Very Bad Day for Brandon Butterworth by Scott Haan
- * 2008-2009: In the Weeds by Steve Gooch
- * 2009-2010: TILT by Laurie Russell
- * 2010-2011: Roman Cokes by Jeff Spanke
The original script for the 2011-2012 Staged Reading series has yet to be selected. The committee preparing the season is soliciting submissions for original, previously unproduced scripts by local playwrights. Here are the script submission guidelines:
- * Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette prefers a full script submission.
- * Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette will accept a query/synopsis along with a 5-page dialogue sample.
- * Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette prefers electronic submissions, which may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- * Mailed submissions must be sent to:
Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette
Attn: Staged Reading Committee
313 N. 5th Street
Lafayette, IN 47901
- * Submissions sent via mail must include a self-addressed stamped envelope or self-addressed stamped postcard.
- * There is no cost to submit an original script. Playwrights are limited to submitting no more than 3 scripts.
- * Deadline for submissions: September 30, 2011
- * Response date: No later than November 3, 2011
- * Probability of being selected: At least one original script per year is included in the Staged Reading series out of the entire pool of submissions.
- * Contract: There are no royalties paid at this time.
- * Cast size: Ten or fewer actors are preferred.
- * Length: Scripts may be either one act or full length.
- * Geographic requirements: Playwrights must have their primary residency in the 14-county area served by the Tippecanoe Arts Federation – Benton County, Carroll County, Cass County, Clinton County, Fountain County, Howard County, Jasper County, Montgomery County, Newton County, Pulaski County, Tippecanoe County, Tipton County, Warren County and White County.
Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is a community theatre located in downtown Lafayette, Indiana. Its home is the historic Monon Depot Theatre, which has a seating capacity of 155.
For more information about the Staged Reading series, please call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette's Web site.