Friday, April 1, 2011

In the Wings: Macbeth. Meet Mark Krutulis.


Mark Krutulis plays Macbeth in Macbeth, the third production in the 2010-2011 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by William Shakespeare.

Question: Why did you audition for Macbeth?
Mark Krutulis: A couple of friends have been involved with Civic for a couple of years. I had a little experience with theater and I knew I enjoyed it. So I thought "Hey, why not." I tried out and hey, now I'm Macbeth.

Q: How would you describe Macbeth at the start of the play? What is his goal?
M.K.: He is a very ambitious general in the Scottish army, but a very honorable fellow at the start. His ambition would have fallen o'er itself would not his lady have encouraged him further to commit an evil deed and kill the king.

Q: What challenges have you faced with this production so far?
M.K.: The greatest challenge is the blocking and physical combat especially. For a long time I've been memorizing poetry – that had been part of my homeschooling experience – so memorization is no big deal. But the blocking, where I have to be on stage, and the facial expressions ... all these things are sort of new to me.

Q: What will an audience most remember about this production?
M.K.: Blood and violence. It's tactful – there's still an element of skill to it. It's not just saturation with blood and violence. There still is strategy.

Macbeth will open Friday, April 8 and run through Sunday, April 10 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday evening performances will begin at 7:30 p.m.; the Sunday afternoon performance will begin at 2:30 p.m.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call Civic Theatre's office at 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: