Saturday, April 16, 2011

In the Wings: The Velveteen Rabbit. Meet Ashlyn Short.


Ashlyn Short plays the Velveteen Rabbit in The Velveteen Rabbit, the fourth and final production of the 2010-2011 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by local playwright Laurie Russell, based on Margery Williams' book.

Q: Why did you audition for The Velveteen Rabbit?
Ashlyn Short: It is my mom's favorite play. When I was little we saw it when Purdue was doing it, and I've loved it ever since.

Q: What is the Velveteen Rabbit like?
A.S.: He wants to be loved by his owner and wants to be treated like a stuffed animal is. He's really shy and he loves to be loved by human beings.

Q: What have rehearsals been like?
A.S.: I'm having tons of fun. I like working with the cast members. I've made some new friends and there are some people I already knew who are in the cast and crew.

Q: What do you think the best part of the show is?
A.S.: The best part is probably the ending when the Velveteen Rabbit gets turned real. It's so magical and the Fairy comes to take him to the forest and turn him real.

Q: Do you have a favorite stuffed animal?
A.S.: My favorite stuffed animal is Snowball, he's a polar bear. I've had him since I was two. I still sleep with him and he just means the world to me. He's really special.

The Velveteen Rabbit opens Friday, April 22 and run through Sunday, April 24 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: