Monday, July 11, 2011

Grace Lazarz: 2010-2011 Justin M. Newell Scholarship recipient


Grace Lazarz was named the recipient of the Justin M. Newell Scholarship for the 2010-2011 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The $500 scholarship recognizes the contributions and achievements of a college-bound graduating senior. Any high school senior who has been or currently participates in Civic Youth Theatre is eligible to apply.

Q: What does winning the Justin M. Newell Scholarship mean to you?

Grace Lazarz: It means a lot to me because I've heard about the scholarship and the story of Justin Newell for a long time. Every time I hear about someone winning it, it's someone I know well and has done a lot for Civic. To win the award means being one of those people, which I would never have expected for myself.

Q: What has Civic Theatre meant to you?

G.L.: I was really shy when I started volunteering at Civic Theatre, but I've gotten over a lot of my fears here. I'm really self-confident now. I've learned to take risks on stage; some of my favorite roles are ones that I have to go outside my comfort zone, which would not have been my personality before this. It's been awesome. It's definitely been a learning experience.

Q: What are your plans for next year?

G.L.: I'm going to DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. I've been toying with the idea of double majoring in theatre and English, but I'm still unsure. Theatre and English are my two favorite subjects.

No comments: