Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In the Wings: Rent. Meet Andrea Larsen.


Andrea Larsen plays April and is the choreographer of RENT, the first production of the 2011-2012 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The book, music and lyrics are by Jonathan Larson, based on Giacomo Puccini's La bohème.

Question: Why did you want to be part of RENT?
Andrea Larsen: I've seen the movie several times and I love it. Paul Rutz, one of my friends, was one of the choreographers for Disney's High School Musical. He wasn't going to be in town for RENT and he suggested me. I was so excited.

Q: What does a choreographer do during a musical?
A.L.: It's a little different with RENT than other musicals because there's not as much dancing. If there is a piece that needs movement or interaction that is more than just walking, I listen to the song and choreograph movement for my cast. During the song "Contact," for example, the director Julia Colby wanted to show the spread of the HIV virus through dance.

Q: What do you think an audience will most remember about a performance of RENT?
A.L.: They'll remember the voices. This cast has crazy, amazing voices. They belt it out and blow me away every time. I didn't know there was this kind of talent in Greater Lafayette.

RENT will open Thursday, July 14 and run through July 16 at the Tippecanoe County Amphitheater, 4449 ST RD 43 N, West Lafayette. Sunday, July 17 has been scheduled as a performance date if there are any rain outs. Performances begin at 9:00 p.m.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call Civic Theatre's office at 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: