Thursday, July 7, 2011

In the Wings: Rent. Meet Chad Smith.


Chad Smith is in the ensemble of RENT, the first production of the 2011-2012 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The book, music and lyrics are by Jonathan Larson, based on Giacomo Puccini's La bohème.

Question: Why did you want to be part of RENT?
Chad Smith: There were a lot of personal issues growing up in my family. A lot of those were depicted in the play and I really connected with it. It has always been a dream for me to be a part of RENT, so when I had this chance I jumped at it.

Q: Who do you play in RENT?
C.S.: I'm The Man, the catalyst of all that is evil in Alphabet City. He is the drug dealer and gets Mimi and half of Tent City hooked on just about anything. I also play John, a guy in the support group.

Q: What do you think an audience will most remember about a performance of RENT?
C.S.: I think it'll be very fun and entertaining as well as eye opening to a lot of people.

RENT will open Thursday, July 14 and run through July 16 at the Tippecanoe County Amphitheater, 4449 ST RD 43 N, West Lafayette. Sunday, July 17 has been scheduled as a performance date if there are any rain outs. Performances begin at 9:00 p.m.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call Civic Theatre's office at 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: