Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In the Wings: Rent. Meet Joe Heath.


Joe Heath is in the ensemble of RENT, the first production of the 2011-2012 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The book, music and lyrics are by Jonathan Larson, based on Giacomo Puccini's La bohème.

Question: Why did you want to be part of RENT?
Joe Heath: This is my last summer in Lafayette, and Civic Theatre always has been a home for me. I used to be involved with it heavily before high school. I wanted to do one last production, and I think that this will be the last acting I'm going to have the opportunity to do. I've seen RENT before and I liked it. I wanted to meet people and have something to do this summer, so it seemed like a great opportunity.

Q: Who do you play in RENT?
J.H.: I play homeless people and the waiter in "La Vie Bohème."

Q: What do you think an audience will most remember about a performance of RENT?
J.H.: Tolerance is the biggest thing I hope someone would take away. Giving people in the community an idea of what it means to be gay, or to have gay friends or to have AIDS, and then to be tolerant and loving of everyone - I think that's very important. The more support there is in the community, the better it is for everyone.

RENT will open Thursday, July 14 and run through July 16 at the Tippecanoe County Amphitheater, 4449 ST RD 43 N, West Lafayette. Sunday, July 17 has been scheduled as a performance date if there are any rain outs. Performances begin at 9:00 p.m.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call Civic Theatre's office at 765-423-7529 or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: