Sunday, February 19, 2012

In the Wings: Red Hot and Cole. Meet Nelson Tilley.


Nelson Tilley plays the Headwaiter in Red Hot and Cole, the fourth show of the 2011-2012 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The book is by James Bianchi, Muriel McAuley and Randy Strawderman; the music and lyrics are by Cole Porter.

Question: Why did you audition for Red Hot and Cole?
Nelson Tilley: The biggest draw was working with Kate Walker. I had never worked with her before. Also, when I was in Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella at Civic, I had a fun time. I wanted to do another show with Nate Shumate, too.

Q: What does the Headwaiter do during Red Hot and Cole?
N.T.: I make sure that everything goes smoothly at the parties. If someone needs a refill on their drink, I have to refill it and make sure they're taken care of.

Q: What is your favorite Cole Porter song?
N.T.: My favorite song is going to have to be "Anything Goes" or "De-Lovely."

Red Hot and Cole opens Friday, March 2 and runs three consecutive weekends through Sunday, March 18 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m. For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: