Monday, March 19, 2012

In the Wings: Pride and Prejudice. Meet Alex Mullenix.


Alex Mullenix plays Mr. Gardiner in Pride and Prejudice, the third show of the 2011-2012 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Jon Jory based on the novel by Jane Austen.

Question: Why did you audition for Pride and Prejudice? Did you know the novel before you auditioned?
Alex Mullenix: I planned to audition, but I thought the musical I'm currently in - How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying at Harrison High School - would be a conflict. But one of my friends convinced me to audition. I had only seen the movie before auditions.

Q: How would you describe Mr. Gardiner?
A.M.: He is Mrs. Bennet's brother and married to Mrs. Gardiner. They plan on taking Elizabeth on a tour of the countryside to get her away from the men she's been dealing with. He sort of saves the day at the end.

Q: What do you think an audience will enjoy most about the show?
A.M.: The chemistry is very nice between the actors, and I think a lot of the humor will be fun.

Q: Do you believe in love at first sight?
A.M.: I think there's a lot people can see by their first impressions of someone: how they carry themselves, how they take care of themselves and how they talk to other people. So yeah, I believe in it.

Pride and Prejudice opens Friday, March 30 and runs through Sunday, April 1 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m. For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit Civic Theatre's website.


No comments: