Thursday, March 22, 2012

In the Wings: Pride and Prejudice. Meet Julia Spratt.


Julia Spratt plays Mary Bennet and Lady Catherine de Bourgh in Pride and Prejudice, the third show of the 2011-2012 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Jon Jory based on the novel by Jane Austen.

Question: Why did you audition for Pride and Prejudice? Did you know the novel before you auditioned?
Julia Spratt: I've read it numerous times and I've seen all the movies and I love the story. I auditioned because I've never been involved with a Civic Theatre show before. I saw the advertisement for it and I thought, "Why not? It's one of my favorites."

Q: How would you describe Mary? How would you describe Lady Catherine?
J.S.: Mary is the quiet Bennet sister, she's the different one. She would rather read a book than find a husband. She's very introverted. Lady Catherine is the opposite: she's rich, the highest of the high, she thinks greatly of herself and she likes being in control.

Q: Is it a challenge or is it fun to play two characters who are so different?
J.S.: It's really fun because I've never really done that. Usually I'm only one character, and anytime I am two characters they're usually alike.

Q: What do you think an audience will enjoy most about the show?
J.S.: The different characters. There are so many characters with different dynamics and goals. It's really amazing.

Q: Do you believe in love at first sight?
J.S.: I believe in infatuation at first sight. But I think you have to really know the person to love someone.

Pride and Prejudice opens Friday, March 30 and runs through Sunday, April 1 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m. For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: