Friday, March 23, 2012

In the Wings: Pride and Prejudice. Meet Maggie Furtner.


Maggie Furtner plays Mrs. Bennet in Pride and Prejudice, the third show of the 2011-2012 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Jon Jory based on the novel by Jane Austen.

Question: Why did you audition for Pride and Prejudice? Did you know the novel before you auditioned?
Maggie Furtner: I love the story a lot; I've seen the movie a gazillion times. I was in the process of reading the book for school while auditions were going on. It's a really good story, it's timeless and I love the characters and the setting. I really wanted to be part of this show.

Q: How would you describe Mrs. Bennet?
M.F.: Mrs. Bennet is a high-strung woman; she is the mother of five daughters and she needs to get them all married or else they will not have a home when their father dies. She's kind of misunderstood because everyone thinks she's just crazy, but she has a reason: in that time, daughters couldn't inherit property. She didn't want them on the street.

Q: What will an audience enjoy most about this show?
M.F.: It's a little different than a normal CYT show because it's for older actors. They'll get a little more sophistication, courtesy and propriety. They'll like the ambience of the show a lot and the story, too.

Q: Do you believe in love at first sight?
M.F.: I believe that it can happen, but I don't think it's a very common occurrence. I think it's more about infatuation. I'm skeptical, but I'm not going to be a hater. I'm not ruling it out.

Pride and Prejudice opens Friday, March 30 and runs through Sunday, April 1 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m. For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: