Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In the Wings: Young Directors Project - I've Hit an Iceberg. Meet Emily Davis.


Emily Davis directs I've Hit an Iceberg, one of the shows in Young Directors Project, the fourth and final production of the 2011-2012 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Danna Call.

Question: Where and when is the show set? Who are the characters?
Emily Davis: It is set in modern day times. The characters are named Character A and Character B. Character B claims that a head of iceberg lettuce has spoken to her. Character A tries to analyze Character B throughout the play.

Q: How long have you wanted to be a director?
E.D.: I started directing about three years ago with my own drama troupe, and I really enjoyed it. I'm not going to lie, I like to boss people around.

Q: Why did you want to be a director?
E.D.: I like being able to take what I see in my head and do it on stage. You can do that as an actor, but you can only control your part. As the director, you control what the audience feels and thinks, most of those emotions and reactions.

Q: What do you think the most important part of being a director is?
E.D.: Understanding that even if you have a vision in your head, it will not come out perfectly no matter how hard you try. You have to be gracious and accepting with the cast, to work with them the best you know how and let them have their own interpretation.

Q: Who is your mentor and what are you learning from her?
E.D.: My mentor is Jessie Searight. One thing I've learned is that no show is perfect. She hasn't said that directly, but she gets her points across.

Q: What do you think people will most enjoy about the show?
E.D.: It's funny, it's a little bizarre. You really get to see some of the different traits and thoughts of the characters.

Young Directors Project opens Friday, April 20 and runs through Sunday, April 22 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m. For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit Civic Theatre's website.

No comments: