Tuesday, May 1, 2012

In the Wings: Tartuffe. Meet Amy Long.


Amy Long plays Madame Pernelle in Tartuffe, the fifth show in the 2011-2012 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Molière.

Question: Why did you want to be involved with Tartuffe?
Amy Long: I was ready to be involved with Civic. The last time I was involved was a year ago, and I had a blast. I wanted to do more.

Q: Who is Madame Pernelle?
A.L.: Madame Pernelle is Orgon's mother; he is the father of the house, so she is in some ways the matriarch. In other ways she clearly is not because she's crazy, batty and off-kilter. The other characters merely tolerate her. She goes off on rants and people pay no attention to her. She and Orgon are the only family members who are in love with Tartuffe. Everyone else suspects he is up to no good.

Q: What do you think an audience will enjoy most about the show?
A.L.: The audience will think, "The script was written in the 1600's and it's still so funny!" Jeff Spanke, the director, has done a brilliant job helping us unravel the lines and make sense of them and put them all together in a show that is really funny and witty and fun to watch.

Q: Have you ever conned or been conned?
A.L.: I am not a good con artist. I've been told that everything that I'm thinking plays across my face and in my body language. I have a hard time getting away with lies because whatever I'm thinking oozes out of me.

Tartuffe opens Friday, May 11 and runs through Sunday, May 27 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors and $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit Civic Theatre's website.



No comments: