Friday, May 4, 2012

In the Wings: Tartuffe. Meet Doug Pruim.


Doug Pruim plays Orgon in Tartuffe, the fifth show in the 2011-2012 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Molière.

Question: Why did you want to be involved with Tartuffe?
Doug Pruim: I played Orgon when I was in college at Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights, Illinois, in 1997. I saw a Civic Theatre Facebook post regarding auditions for Tartuffe and I was excited to audition because I had a good time with the other production.

Q: Who is Orgon?
D.P.: Orgon is the head of the household. He really is in love with himself but he has weird insecurities and has fallen in love with this guy he met at church named Tartuffe, played by Timothy Devery. Nobody else seems to like Tartuffe, but Orgon loves him.

Q: What do you think an audience will enjoy about the show?
D.P.: This is a lot of silly fun, and it's fun to watch how blind Orgon is to the sleazy character of Tartuffe. There is a lot of witty wordplay between the characters.

Q: Have you ever conned or been conned?
D.P.: I'm sure that I probably have, but I don't remember what it was. And if I did it, I was probably pretty bad at it.

Tartuffe opens Friday, May 11 and runs through Sunday, May 27 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors and $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit Civic Theatre's website.


No comments: