Tuesday, May 1, 2012

In the Wings: Tartuffe. Meet Nate Shumate.


Nate Shumate plays Damis in Tartuffe, the fifth show in the 2011-2012 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is by Molière.

Question: Why did you want to be involved with Tartuffe?
Nate Shumate: Timothy Devery, who plays Tartuffe, is one of my friends who also was in Red Hot and Cole, and I had never before worked with Jeff Spanke, the director. I saw Jeff in RENT and was very impressed.

Q: Who is Damis?
N.S.: Damis is Orgon's son. He wants to please his father, but he's very angry all the time. He's short-tempered about everything.

Q: What do you think an audience will enjoy most about the show?
N.S.: It's going to be funny. I'm very excited.

Q: Have you ever conned or been conned?
N.S.: Maybe a little bit. I've done some conning, I used to rip off my cousin for football cards. And I'm an older sibling, so that is my job at home.

Tartuffe opens Friday, May 11 and runs through Sunday, May 27 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette.

Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors and $10 for youth age 18 and under.

For more information about the show or to order tickets, call 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit Civic Theatre's website.



No comments: