Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In the Wings: Guys and Dolls. Meet Sarah Weaver.



Sarah Weaver plays a Hot Box girl and the Cuban dancer in Guys and Dolls, the first of two summer productions from Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette in 2012. The music and lyrics are by Frank Loesser; the book is by Jo Swerling and Abe Burrows. Next year Sarah will be a sophomore at Harrison High School.

Question: Why did you want to be part of Guys and Dolls?
Sarah Weaver: I worked with Laura Mecsey in Pride and Prejudice, and I loved it. I wanted to work with her again. I know she's leaving soon, so I wanted to get a last chance to squeeze as much knowledge out of her as I can.

Q: What is it like creating a show in a short amount of time?
S.W.: It's frightening and kind of intimidating, but also really fun. With other shows there is a meet-and-greet, read your lines and you’ve got time … and then in the last couple weeks it's like, "Oh my gosh, I forgot that I've got an actual show to do." Here we hit the ground running from the beginning. It's a lot of fun because my favorite part of the show is the last week or two when we're really moving. It's fun to start rehearsals there, at the best part.

Q: In real life, are you more like a Save-a-Soul person, or are you a gangster?
S.W.: I'm probably more of a Save-a-Soul Mission girl. I haven't kept to myself, but I'm not going to the Hot Box Dance Club; I play by the rules. But it's fun to mix it up.

Guys and Dolls will run July 20 and 21 at the Tippecanoe County Amphitheater Park, 4449 State Road 43 North, West Lafayette. The shows begin at 7:30 p.m.

For information about the show or to order tickets, call Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette at 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit its website.



No comments: