Wednesday, July 25, 2012

In the Wings: Oklahoma! Meet some of the farmers, cowmen and townspeople



There are several performers who play townspeople, farmers, cowmen and others in Oklahoma! the second of two summer productions from Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette in 2012. The music is by Richard Rodgers. The book and lyrics are by Oscar Hammerstein II.

Question: Why did you want to be part of Oklahoma?

Abigail Vinarcik: I think it's fun to get up and be loud and do all sorts of dances and sing.

Emilee Boes: I thought it would be a good opportunity to make new friends and have fun in the summer. About 75% of kids sit in front of a TV during the summer and rot. I thought it would be a lot better idea to come here and have fun.

Amelia Caliendo: I've been in previous plays before, it's been real fun. I like all the people here, and I love Lori Portner. I love the people.

Darian Hrdlicka: I've done Civic in previous years. It's just a great experience and allows me to be myself, which is loud and crazy and stuff. It's just a great opportunity to make new friends.

Shania Howard: It's fun, and I want to be away from my parents.

Heather Luo: I thought it would be fun, and I didn't want to spend all of July at home. This is my first show.

Trey Reynolds: It's a good experience because I haven't done it yet. This is my first show, too.

John Carlson: I liked The Music Man Jr., so I thought I would like Oklahoma! as well.

Rohan Joseph: It's fun and it's a good learning experience. I'm learning how to act.

Su Yeon Park: I wanted to learn proper English.

Ali Acosta: I have done a couple shows at Civic before, and I really liked them. I thought Oklahoma! would be just as fun.

Elliana Russell: It's my first experience here. My mom does Civic shows too. I wanted to see what it would be like.

Oklahoma! will run July 27-29 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. The Friday show begins at 7:30 p.m. The Saturday shows are 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The Sunday show is at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $5.00 per person.

To order tickets, call Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette at 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visit http://lafayettecivic.tix.com




No comments: