Thursday, August 30, 2012

In the Wings: My Way: A Musical Tribute to Frank Sinatra. Meet Bob Mindrum.




Bob Mindrum is the director and plays Man #1 in My Way: A Musical Tribute to Frank Sinatra, the opening show of the 2012-13 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The show was conceived by David Grapes and Todd Olson. The book was written by Todd Olson.

Question: Tell me a little bit about yourself and why you wanted to be part of My Way.
Bob Mindrum: I haven’t previously done a show where the characters essentially play themselves. So I’m really enjoying this. It allows you to bring your own experience into the character.

Q: Are you a Frank Sinatra fan and what is your favorite Sinatra song? 
B.M.: Sinatra music is timeless. He was so popular and really was larger than life. It was Dean Martin, one of the Rat Pack who said, “This is Frank’s world. We just live in it.” And that’s so true. I have several favorites, I guess. I really like “I’ll Be Seeing You,” and “It Was A Very Good Year.” Also, there is a song called “Dream,” which is four-part harmony that is very nice.

Q: What will the audience like or remember most about this show?
B.M.: I think the audience, like me, will like the music, of course, but also will find it very interesting because of the facts about Sinatra’s life and the Rat Pack that are built into the show. I knew some things about him, but there is a lot of biographical information that I didn’t know. We will be singing nearly 60 songs and the music is great. Many of the songs are familiar but there are several that I didn’t know at all.

Thanks to Julie Rosa for creating this post.

My Way: A Musical Tribute to Frank Sinatra opens Friday, September 7 and runs through Saturday, September 22 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m.

Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors and $10 for youth age 18 and under. Tickets can be purchased by calling 765-423-PLAY (7529) or visiting http://lafayettecivic.tix.com

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.

No comments: