Thursday, April 25, 2013

In the Wings: Company. Meet Candie Borcz.



Candie Borcz plays Jenny in Company, the fifth and final production of the 2012-2013 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The music and lyrics are by Stephen Sondheim. The book is by George Furth.

Question: Why did you audition for the show?
Candie Borcz: I knew nothing about Company. My husband, Kyle Borcz, knows a lot about Sondheim. He just moved to the area, and I was telling him about Civic. I was reading what shows were going to be in the 2012-2013 season. I told him, "It looks like there's also a musical named Company," and he started geeking out. He showed me the show, had me listen to it. He has many, many recordings of it. I auditioned because he wanted to audition.

Q: Who is Jenny? What does Bobby get from his friendship with her and David, played by Cory Guthrie?
C.B.: They're very close, Jenny and David have kids. But they also do some fun things together, things that Bobby probably doesn't do with the other couples.

Q: What will an audience enjoy about Company?
C.B.: It's fun, it's got some serious things to it but not to the point where it's a downer. It's also got a good message to it, that marriage isn't always going to be the greatest thing or the worst thing, that there are a lot of good points to it.

Q: What is your favorite Stephen Sondheim song?
C.B.: I haven't listened to much Sondheim before this play. But Kyle has had me listen to Into the Woods, which I really like. I also like "Getting Married Today" in Company.

Company opens Friday, May 3 and runs through Saturday, May 18 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. The Sunday shows begin at 2:30 p.m.

Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors and $10 for youth age 18 and under. Rush tickets may be available before each performance for $8 to students with a valid college or high school I.D. Follow @lafayettecivic on Twitter before each performance to learn about availability for that night's performance.

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.

No comments: