Friday, September 27, 2013

In the Wings: Antigone. Meet Olivia Murrell, the assistant director.



Olivia Murrell is the assistant director for Antigone, the first Civic Youth Theatre production in the 2013-2014 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. David Felshuh adapted the script from the original by Sophocles.

Question: Why did you want to be involved with Antigone?
Olivia Murrell: I read the play last year in English class, and I really liked it. I love Greek tragedies and mythology. I also love directing with Mr. Radtke. This is the third time I've done that.

Q: What does an assistant director do?
O.M.: I help the director, Mr. Radtke, plan the show and decide what the vision will be. The script came with no stage directions, so we had to figure out how to block the show and how to best tell the story. We also figured out the costumes and the set. I also am the stage manager, so I will be calling light cues during the shows.

Q: Who is your favorite character from Greek mythology or literature?
O.M.: I'm going with Athena because she's strong willed and independent. She's really wise, and a lot of people in mythology looked up to her. I think that's admirable.

Antigone opens Friday, September 27 and runs through Sunday, September 29 at the historic Monon Depot Theatre, 320 N. 5th Street, at the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m. The Sunday show begins at 2:30 p.m.

Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for youth age 18 and under. Tickets can be purchased by calling 765-423-7529 or visiting http://lafayettecivic.tix.com

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DONT TAKE MY NAME!