Director Bill Knapp has announced audition information for The Naked Eye, the sixth and final staged reading in the 2013-2014 Staged Reading Series at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. Paul Rudnick wrote the script.
Alex DelFlavio is an ambitious downtown artist who plans to include sexually explicit photographs in his uptown show to advance his career. Nan Bemiss, the wife of a Republican senator who is running for the presidency and a gallery board member, appeals to DelFlavio to remove three of his most "offensive" photographs for the opening.
Auditions will be Tuesday, April 22 and Wednesday, April 23 from 6:30-9:00 p.m. in the Civic Theatre office, 313 N. 5th Street in downtown Lafayette. Those auditioning will be asked to read from the script; they are asked to stay as long as requested.
Bill seeks to cast three (3) men and five (5) women for the following roles:
* Nan Bemiss, described as being "of a certain age." She has to be able to project the politician's perfect wife, someone who is always put together and in control, who takes care of herself, dresses well, is extremely well-organized and has led a very narrow life. Nan is the linchpin character, the one who undergoes the furthest journey.
* Alex DelFlavio, 30ish. Alex is a photographic artist. He is quite full of himself and fully understands playing the "game" of the Art World.
* Mumbali Keefer, 30ish. Mumbali is very angry, an Afrocentric lesbian and Alex's assistant. She has a hidden past that only comes out when she meets Nan's daughter, Sissy.
* Pete Bemiss, also "of a certain age." He is Nan's husband, a U.S. Senator. He can instantly assess a situation and determine which position is most politically advantageous. He can be dignified, charming, slick, paranoid and vengeful.
* Kattrin and Marcus Dowling, age indeterminate. They run an arts magazine of which Alex is angling to be on the cover. They exemplify everything shallow and pretentious in the art world. They know a good article and cover would make Alex's career.
* Sissy Bemiss Darnley, mid-30s. She is Nan and Pete's daughter, and is described as a younger version of Nan. She has a very nice, neat compartmentalized world until she meets Mumbali.
* Lynette Marshall, 20s. She is Pete's mistress who shows up at the art opening. She has a gorgeous Playboy look to her, she is very nice and likeable with a weakness for older men. She has a Georgia accent.
Bill also seeks to cast a narrator to set each scene and describe transitional movements.
The staged reading of The Naked Eye will be Tuesday, May 13 at 7:30 p.m. in the historic Monon Depot Theatre, 320 N. 5th Street in downtown Lafayette. It is a Pay What You Can event.
There will be a question-and-answer session immediately following the staged reading between the audience, the cast and the director.
The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.