Tuesday, May 27, 2014

In the Wings: The Second Annual 10-Minute Play Festival. Meet the Playwrights – Shane Guenin, "Answers from Ashes."



Shane Guenin wrote Answers from Ashes, one of seven plays that will make their world debut at the second annual 10-Minute Play Festival at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. It is directed by Kyle Borcz.

Question: What is Answers from Ashes about?
Shane Guenin: An arrogant scientist comes across a pretty and intelligent grad student who wants nothing to do with him. Science then ensues.

Q: Why did you want to write Answers from Ashes?
S.G.: I wanted to write this play to get a piece of my writing to the public eye. I see it as a milestone toward future compositions and publications, and the 10-Minute Play Festival is my first stepping stone to what I hope is a career or at least a lifelong hobby in literature.

Q: What was the most fun part of writing Answers from Ashes?
S.G.: The most fun, or at least the most amusing, part of putting this play together was making my sister, Mackenzie, run lines with me. Granted, she never made it through a scene without laughing at me, but a good time was had by all.

Q: How do you feel about Answers from Ashes being produced at Civic Theatre in the festival?
S.G.: I could not ask for a better institution to produce and perform my first play. Civic has been like a second home for me the past couple of years, and the people I have worked with here are second to none. I am very excited to see all of these plays come together on Civic's stage.

Q: Why do you like writing?
S.G.: It would probably be easier for me to answer why I like breathing; writing is nearly as essential as respiration to me. But truly, writing is an outlet. There is really no other medium with which one can be so expressive as with writing. And where other forms of media treat sexuality, religion, profanity, and mental health as taboo, writing welcomes these subjects. This is fortunate, as at least one of those topics finds its way into everything I write.

The second annual 10-Minute Play Festival will be Friday, June 6 and Saturday, June 7 at 7:30 p.m. in the historic Monon Depot Theatre, 320 N. 5th Street – the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. All 7 plays will be performed both nights.

The festival is a Pay What You Can event, and general admission tickets will be available at the box office immediately before the event begins.

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.

No comments: