Tuesday, May 27, 2014

In the Wings: The Second Annual 10-Minute Play Festival. Meet the Playwrights – Scott Haan, "Be Right Back."

 


Scott Haan wrote Be Right Back, one of seven plays that will make their world debut at the second annual 10-Minute Play Festival at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. It is directed by Steve Martin.

Question: What is Be Right Back about?
Scott Haan: Jeff needs to run what should be a quick errand, but Emma continually stalls his departure with a barrage of inane questions that threaten his patience and his very sanity.

Q: Why did you want to write Be Right Back?
S.H.: The idea hit me and I couldn't resist; I was absolutely compelled to write it.

Q: What was the most fun part of writing Be Right Back?
S.H.: I really enjoyed the challenge of mixing genres; the story is a comedy, but I tried to also include a little bit of drama, which is tricky to achieve in such a short story.

Q: How do you feel about Be Right Back being produced at Civic Theatre in the festival?
S.H.: I'm very excited to be part of this again. I had previous plays that debuted during the first Staged Reading season in 2008 and the first 10-Minute Play Festival last year. This will be my third play to premiere on the Civic stage, which is always a huge thrill for me, having lived here in Lafayette for most of my life. And I'm even more excited to have my play directed by fellow playwright Steve Martin, who I greatly respect and admire.

Q: Why do you like writing?
S.H.: For me it is extremely cathartic. Life can be very stressful, and so much of it is completely out of my control. When I write, I can control everything, limited only by the extent of my warped and deranged imagination. It's the best outlet for creativity that I've ever known. Going a little insane when I write helps to keep me sane (relatively) in real life.

The second annual 10-Minute Play Festival will be Friday, June 6 and Saturday, June 7 at 7:30 p.m. in the historic Monon Depot Theatre, 320 N. 5th Street – the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. All 7 plays will be performed both nights.

The festival is a Pay What You Can event, and general admission tickets will be available at the box office immediately before the event begins.

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.


No comments: