Thursday, May 29, 2014

In the Wings: The Second Annual 10-Minute Play Festival. Meet the Playwrights – Evan Myers, "You Don't Work Here"



Evan Myers wrote You Don't Work Here, one of seven plays that will make their world debut at the second annual 10-Minute Play Festival at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. It is directed by Scott Haan.

Question: What is You Don't Work Here about?
Evan Myers: A fresh college graduate begs for work at a hole-in-the-wall pub in a small town.

Q: Why did you want to write You Don't Work Here?
E.M.: I wanted to write my play because writing is what I do; I wanted to (hopefully) make some people laugh and smile in these ten minutes of fame.

Q: What was the most fun part of writing You Don't Work Here?
E.M.: The most fun part about writing this play was looking back at the summer that inspired it; I was stuck going door to door begging for work in Louisville, Kentucky one summer, and I seriously considered taking the same actions that the protagonist takes in my play.

Q: How do you feel about You Don't Work Here being produced at Civic Theatre in the festival?
E.M.: I'm extremely eager to see my work on the Civic stage. Watching something that you've written being produced is incredible; ideas go from your brain, to paper, and then physically before your eyes. It's a very cool experience.

Q: Why do you like writing?
E.M.: I like writing because kidnapping people and forcing them to act out my interesting make believe stories is technically illegal.

The second annual 10-Minute Play Festival will be Friday, June 6 and Saturday, June 7 at 7:30 p.m. in the historic Monon Depot Theatre, 320 N. 5th Street – the corner of 5th Street and North Street in downtown Lafayette. All 7 plays will be performed both nights.

The festival is a Pay What You Can event, and general admission tickets will be available at the box office immediately before the event begins.

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.

No comments: