During the staged reading series at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette, at least one script by a local playwright is selected for a world premiere. The script chosen for the 2014-2015 season is The Subtle, Sublime Transformation of Benny V. by Steve Martin.
The highlight of 40-year-old Benny V.'s day is eating his microwaved dinner before falling asleep at 8 p.m. in his apartment that is decorated with old college dormitory furniture. Then a mysterious invitation leads Benny V. on a journey that connects him with new people, places and experiences. The Subtle, Sublime Transformation of Benny V. looks at how we engage the world and how going outside our comfort zone affects our lives.
The staged reading will be Tuesday, March 10 at 7:30 p.m. in the historic Monon Depot Theatre, 320 N. 5th Street in downtown Lafayette. It will be a Pay What You Can event followed by a question-and-answer session with the audience, director, actors and playwright.
Other scripts by local playwrights that have received a world premiere during the eight-year-old series include:
* 2007-2008: Pia Zadora Sings Gershwin by Deborah Gray and A Very Bad Day for Brandon Butterworth by Scott Haan
* 2008-2009: In the Weeds by Steve Gooch
* 2009-2010: TILT by Laurie Russell
* 2010-2011: Roman Cokes by Jeff Spanke
* 2011-2012: Puzzles by Laurie Russell
* 2012-2013: A Wonderful Suicide by Diane Littleton Bahler and Going Through Hell by Steve Martin
* 2013-2014: To Tread Among Serpents by Kelly McBurnette-Andronicos