Sunday, November 9, 2014

In the Wings: Disney's Aladdin Jr. Meet Gavin Duffy.



Gavin Duffy plays Jafar in Disney's Aladdin Jr., the second show in the 2014-2015 Civic Youth Theatre season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette.

Tickets for all three performances of Disney's Aladdin Jr. are sold out. A Pay What You Can preview will be Thursday, Nov. 13 at 7:30 p.m.

Question: Why did you try out for Disney's Aladdin Jr.? Had you seen the movie before?
Gavin Duffy: My mom saw a post on Facebook the day of auditions. She asked me if I wanted to try out, and I said, "I'm already kind of busy, mom." But she started pulling out the music, and I thought, "Sure, why not. If I don't get a part, it's not going to hurt." I have seen the movie before, and I have it on VHS.

Question: What makes Jafar the villain?
G.D.: He's working against Aladdin. He wants to be the number one guy. In his quest for world domination, he's just mean.

Question: What will an audience love about this show?
G.D.: There's a lot of hidden comedy where people wouldn't expect it. Jafar doesn't have much of that, but there are mood swings he goes through.

Question: If you could trade roles with anyone, who would it be and why?
G.D.: I would trade with Aaron Walker, who plays the Genie. The role is very funny. If I had the ability to be that comic with the audience, I would have a hard time not laughing.

Question: Imagine you come across a pile of junk and on top is an old, beaten-up lamp. What do you do?
G.D.: I would probably look around, see if there are any booby traps – like Indiana Jones, I mean, you never know – and then rub it three times to see if it's magic.

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.

No comments: