Monday, December 8, 2014

In the Wings: A Christmas Story, the Musical. Meet Cathy Russell.



Cathy Russell plays Mother in A Christmas Story, the Musical, the holiday show in the 2014-2015 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette.

The show runs Friday, Dec. 12 through Sunday, Dec. 14 at Long Center for the Performing Arts, 111 N. 6th Street in downtown Lafayette. You can purchase tickets by calling 765-423-7529 or visiting http://lafayettecivic.tix.com.

Question: What is Mother like?
Cathy Russell: She is the quintessential Mom of the 1940s. She wants to provide for her family and for her husband, to be a good wife. She has an edge to her that I love. She's got a little bit of "Mm-hmm?" attitude to her.

Q: What is the theme of the show?
C.R.: There is so much craziness, but they still love each other. In the end, it's all about love and family.

Q: What is your favorite part of the show?
C.R.: Mother sings to Ralphie after he's gotten into a fight. There's a sweet song and she's trying to tell him, "Life goes on and these moments will pass." It brought a tear to my eye.

Q: Did you know the movie before you auditioned?
C.R.: Absolutely. I grew up on this movie, and we watched it every year. I watched the TV marathon when it came on. There are certain moments that are just classic and beautiful.

Q: What was the one Christmas gift you wanted as much as Ralphie wants the BB gun?
C.R.: My brothers and sisters. I was an only child for seven years, and I always wanted a baby brother or sister. And I finally got four of them. My Mom told me, "Be careful what you wish for!

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.

No comments: