Director Steve Martin has announced audition information for Tina Howe's "Approaching Zanzibar," the fourth staged reading in the 2014-2015 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette.
This play by the author of "Pride's Crossing," among others, follows the Blossom family as they travel cross country to see Aunt Olivia, who has cancer. She is a renowned environmental artist who creates enormous sculptures out of kites. The family camps along the way, having various adventures and meeting relatives and strangers. When they arrive in Taos, New Mexico, Olivia is fading in and out of reality, or is she?
Auditions will be 2-4 p.m. on Sunday, April 12 and 6-8 p.m. on Monday, April 13 at the Civic Theatre office, 313 N. 5th Street in downtown Lafayette.
Those auditioning will be asked to read from the script, which is available to be checked out from the Civic Theatre office. Steve is looking to cast 4 women, 1 girl, 2 boys and 2 men for the following roles:
* Wallace Blossom, a composer, age 49, male
* Charlotte Blossom, his wife, age 45, female
* Turner Blossom, their son, a prodigy, age 12, male
* Pony Blossom, their nearsighted daughter, age 9, female
* Randy Wands, a new father, age 43, male
* Palace St. John, a hearty grandmother, age 63, female
* Fletcher St. John, her deaf grandson, age 11, male
* Scotty Childs, Charlotte's brother, a landscape architect, age 48, male
* Joy Childs, his new wife, an African-American TV newscaster who's seven months pregnant, age 28, female
* Amy Childs, his athletic daughter, played by a boy, age 11, female
* Dalia Paz, Olivia's Mexican nurse, age 28, female
* Olivia Childs, Charlotte's and Scotty's aunt, an eminent site-specific artist, age 81, female* Dr. Sybil Wren, Olivia's doctor, with a severe limp, 60s, female