Director Julie Doan has announced audition information for "The Subtle, Sublime Transformation of Benny V.", the fifth and final staged reading in the 2014-2015 season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette. The script is receiving its world premiere. It was written by Steve Martin.
"The highlight of forty-year-old Benny V.'s day is eating his microwaved dinner and falling asleep at 8 p.m. in his apartment decorated with old college dormitory furniture. Then a mysterious invitation leads Benny V. on a journey that connects him with new people, places and experiences. 'The Subtle, Sublime Transformation of Benny V.' looks at how we engage the world and how going outside out comfort zone affects our lives."
Auditions will be Tuesday, April 14 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Civic Theatre's office, 313 N. 5th Street in downtown Lafayette.
Julie is looking to cast 3 men, 3 women and 1 girl for the following roles:
* Compère - male, any age. The master of ceremonies. He is a showman whose emotions can sway in extremes.
* Benny V. - male, 40 years old. A writer at a media firm. He is withdrawn, not from boredom but from lack of knowledge.
* Thomas - male, early 50s. One of Benny V.'s coworkers at the firm. He likes alcohol a lot.
* Claire - female, early 20s. Another of Benny V.'s coworkers. She likes fashion a lot.
* Eva - female, mid-60s. Benny V.'s, Thomas' and Claire's boss. She is decisive, intelligent and burnt out. She likes to think about retirement a lot.
* Mia - female, 8. One of the attendees at the art museum exhibit. She is very ordered and methodical. She knows things and shares them with Benny V.
* Violetta Izugarria - African-American female, late 30s to early 40s. An artist and teacher. She is confident in her skills, expressive and does not suffer fools. She loves life and sparks Benny V.'s interest in it.
* Gloria - female, early 60s. A participant in Chef Rosa's cooking class. She is careful with everyone's feelings and believes there's good in everything. Played by the actor who plays Eva.
* Chef Rosa - male, early 50s. A chef/restaurateur. He is passionate about cooking. Played by the actor who plays Thomas.
* Walt - male, 50s. A flightseeing guide in Talkeetna, Alaska. He is a dreamer who has been forced to become a realist. He can be sullen, poetic, irritable and empathetic. Played by the actor who plays Compère.
* Molly - female, 8. A participant at the star party and Reina's daughter. She is chaotic, loud, very intelligent, selfish and can push boundaries. Played by the actor who plays Mia.
* Reina - female, late 20s. An organizer of the star party and Molly's mother. She is in love with nature, but also can be very scientific and precise. Played by the actor who plays Claire.
* Greta - female, late 50s. Benny V.'s German tutor from Germany. Played by the actor who plays Eva.
* Ashanti - female, early 40s. Benny V.'s Swahili tutor from Kenya. Played by the actor who plays Violetta Izugarria.
* Vincente - male, late 40s. Benny V.'s Italian tutor from Italy. Played by the actor who plays Thomas.
* Jin - female, late 20s. Benny V.'s Japanese tutor from Japan. Played by the actor who plays Claire.