Sunday, May 3, 2015

In the Wings: Escanaba in da Moonlight. Meet Ryan Farrell.



Ryan Farrell plays Remnar Soady in Jeff Daniels' "Escanaba in da Moonlight," the fifth and final production in the 2014-2015 MainStage season at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette.

The show runs May 8-23 at Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette, 320 N. 5th Street in downtown Lafayette. You can purchase tickets by visiting http://lafayettecivic.tix.com or calling 765-423-7529.

Question: Why did you audition?
Ryan Farrell: Andrew Meyer and I work together, and he's been badgering me for months. But my wife convinced me at the last minute because I used to do theatre a lot. During college and after college, I sort of fell out of it. She told me that I would have a blast auditioning, regardless of whether I was cast.

Q: What are some of Remnar's good traits, and what's fun about playing him?
R.F.: Remnar is a jokester and he doesn't quit, ever. I enjoy playing him because this show is like my childhood. I grew up in northern Wisconsin, thick Yooper accents everywhere. Deer cabins, lots of beer everywhere. I grew up as the jokester.

Q: What will an audience enjoy most about the show?
R.F.: I think different audiences will enjoy different things. One might love the fast-talking conversations, another will enjoy the slapstick and the fart jokes. We've got stuff for everybody.

Q: What is it like being in a play with only adult men in the cast?
R.F.: It's very different. This is the smallest show I've ever done. Usually I do large musical productions. I've really, really enjoyed the smaller cast because we've gotten to know each other off the set. We also have developed inside jokes. It's been really fun.

Q: If you could take a family vacation anywhere, where would it be?
R.F.: We just had a dream family vacation. My parents had their 30th anniversary this year and they took all of the kids and my wife to Ireland.

The mission of Civic Theatre of Greater Lafayette is to enhance the artistic and cultural environment of Greater Lafayette through theatrical productions and educational opportunities.

No comments: